Since you’ve made it to this page, we can all agree that you’re likely looking for a San Francisco criminal defense attorney. Well you are in luck because we can definitely help you finding the right attorney for you.
If you’re here that also means you’ve been charged with a crime in San Francisco. The first thing we want all of our clients to know is straight out of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, “DO NOT PANIC.” Although your situation might seem overwhelmingly hopeless in the face of criminal charges, believe us when we say that there are a multitude of criminal defenses that can be used in defending your unique case.
The sooner you get in touch a with a criminal defense attorney, the better chance you have at fighting your charges. You rights can be defended in every step of the criminal process, from before you are officially charged to after you are sentenced. Below we will discuss the most relevant topics in your search for a lawyer.
Types of Crimes
If you are charged with a crime in San Francisco, it most definitely fits within one of these two categories: misdemeanor or felony. Although a misdemeanor carries less severe punishments than a felony, it is a mistaken belief that punishment will not be severe enough to have an impact on the rest of your life. Being sentenced with a misdemeanor in San Francisco can carries with it years in prison and heavy fines in some of the worst cases. Felonies, at their worst, carry life sentences or even a death sentence.
The most important thing to consider is that you never know what the outcome of your case will be until the judge passes sentence or a plea deal is reached. However, a criminal attorney can make it clear regarding what can be expected and guide you through the whole process.
Here are just a few of the practice areas that a local defense attorney can help you with (click on titles to read more):
- DUI / DWI: A driving under the influence is quite common nationwide and in San Francisco. Many details surround a DUI charge that can affect the severity of the punishment such as the presence of injuries or damage to property.
- Hit and Run: A hit & run charge is possible whenever you are suspected of hitting any object or person with your vehicle and then fleeing the scene. Even if you were not the one driving your own vehicle, it’s possible for you to be charged.
- Open Container Violation: Whenever you have any container with the contents of alcohol, you can be charged with this crime. We’ve even seen people charged with an open container with just red solo cups filled with juice.
- Public Intoxication: This is very similar to an open container charge, but often involves some sort of rude behavior in public. Although, it is enough to just be under the influence outside of any private dwelling for you to be charged.
- Prostitution & Solicitation: These are two types of charges involving sexual acts in exchange for money. Prostitution involves performing those sexual acts, while solicitation involves only the intent to perform.
- Minor in Possession (MIP): If you are under the age of 21 and you are caught with any type of alcohol on your body, you can be charged with an MIP. One of the more serious consequences of this charge is that you can have your driving privileges revoked.
Hire a San Francisco Criminal Defense Lawyer
By now you are probably feeling more than an inkling of hope. You are ready to fight your criminal charges head on. You are wondering what the next step is. Well, the next step is to get in touch with a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible.